Monday 23 March 2015

On winter storage

Winter Storage for your Hymer

For those of you who dont use your Hymer through the winter (you bloody well should be!) here is a guide to some things you can do to help keep your pride and joy in tip top condition.

If you have any info to add please do so but make sure you separate each entry with a =========

This Information was added to the Classic Hymers community page by our man in the knowRon Bentham.

Well you have to remember that being designed in Germany, they are designed for it! There are many many tips and tricks published on the motorhome forums - it's not just a Hymer issue.  

Obviously covered storage is the way to go - as our Classic Hymers show their age they deserve a bit extra. I managed to find a barn for mine last year for £30 a month! 

But having stored mine outside for the preceding 13 winters, here is what I have picked up. As long as you don't have an obvious leak, then I have suffered no adverse effects from outside storage.  

Tyres do not flat spot - stands not required. 

Handbrakes do stick on - so best to leave off and chock, or in gear. Mine's a Merc, so can't vouch for Fiats, but I think this is a general rule. I have also noticed a fair amount of rust on the front discs, which I have ignored with no problems - just drive carefully for the first few miles. 

My Merc has literally started first turn, every springtime! All the oil is in the bottom of the sump after storage so I never rev the engine on first startup - just let it tickover for a while. A perfectionist would pour a mugful into the top before starting after a long winter! I never have, but have thought about it! 

Batteries - if you have solar, then just do nothing. If you don't, then operate the leisure batt isolator switch. My vehicle battery has never let me down, not even after 7 months running the clock! Basically the electrics just don't suffer in storage. 

Frost - in the early years I didn't even know how to drain my system. And I never had a problem. I went skiing once in Italy and it was minus 20, and the entire tank and water system froze solid, I was almost back to Calais before the water started flowing again! No damage. But in a later year after a hard frost I found that the frozen water had forced the plastic pipe off the bottom of the tap. So I eventually learned how to drain the system. open all the taps, disconnect the pump, and open the drain cock - that's all you have to do. 

Humidity. Some people swear by installing a dehumidifier over winter. I never have, but I can't fault the logic, especially if your van is stored where there is mains electricity. I always leave my roof light open by about 3 millimetres all round - this also helps preserve the rubber seal. 

Never try to operate the roof light in snow and ice unless you have completely cleared it - I learned the hard way. 

I raise my rear bed a few inches with a thick book - it lets the air circulate. 

I rinse out my cassette with Elsan Blue - empty it and then just leave it be. 

I got mice once - the only time I stored on grass. When the grass grew they shinned up and got in through the chassis somehow! Hard standing is best. 

Gas system. Switch of bottles and then ignore - never had a problem. 

I tend to leave my curtains open - many don't for security - but a bit of winter sun streaming in does wonders for the moisture. 

Fridge - leave open a crack. there is a hole specially for this on the catch. 

Don't leave the blinds up - you strain the return springs. 

Underbody. Hymers are well undersealed at the factory, but after 20 years it can start to show it's age. A perfectionist would wash off any road dirt, which usually contains the dreaded salt prior to winter storage. 

Covers - I have heard arguments for and against - so basically I just don't know if they are worth it. Some swear by them, others say they lock in moisture and damp. Your choice. Discuss?! 

Finally, look at it this way. Hymers are designed for all year use. It is actually easier on the van to be stood still in all weathers, rather than driving on the road. They are tough. Love it, but don't cuddle it! 

If I have missed any winter storage points then will others please add them.

No comments:

Post a Comment