Monday 23 March 2015

Fwd: On 12v versus 240v


Look guys - it's quite simple! 12v is fine, especially if you are using your normal car stereo unit and no extra amplifier. But as soon as you want more than what the stereo will give, then you are into fitting a power amplifier. A 12v PA needs heavy 12v wiring, and it needs a well ventilated place to live. I melted my last 12v system in Morocco. I ended up on 240v quite by accident...when I took out the front bed I ended up with the big shelf at the front which many of you have seen in my van. I already had 240v for the TV and I had my old Denon 240v amp in storage, so I just hooked it up for a laugh and was very happy with the result. It was much easier than running heavy 12v wires up to the top shelf, and cooling would have been an issue. So.....it's horses for courses, my system really only works if you have no front bed, which puts me in a minority of one! My final point is that if you do install a decent inverter in your van - for your laptops and hairdryers and toasters etc, then when it comes to music, you have an extra option. It's not just about performance - style and ergonomics also have a place - retro shirt, retro system! I love my chunky 1990's Denon amp with it's big knob on the front. Jon is just jealous because he only has twiddly little knobs next to his ashtray......

No comments:

Post a Comment