Monday 23 March 2015

On whether the Santander ferry is worth it or to drive through France ......

I have spent hours on a calculator over this, having made many S700 trips to and from Portugal and Spain. And it's almost a tank extra for me, cos I live in the NW. Basically, the long crossing to Spain is a luxury, and unless you are wandering aimlessly through France not in a hurry, the traverse of France is for me at least, a bore bore bore, done it so many times. About 3 years ago I concluded that the shoulder season price of the long crossing was going to cost about £100 more than the diesel, and I thought that was a good deal. in recent years, when faced with well over £400 each way, for 2 adults, it has been more difficult to decide. I think the lowest i paid off season was £270 one way. I have never travelled in July August. It doesn't help that you are royally rogered by the French autoroute tolls - especially if you have double back wheels. Just go on the french autoroute website and cost out the tolls from Calais to Biaritz! It's well over a whole tankful of fuel!
One year I decided to devote three days to it and avoid all French tolls - and stick to routes nationales....it was a pretty OK trip, but any savings were eaten away with extra fuel, I spent a lot of time traversing towns and regional cities, and this burns fuel. But I also discovered that there are huge tracts of free autoroute and dual carriageways, and I made a mental note to find out the best route using these - there must be a thread on some forum out there somewhere. I also got to see that enormous bridge viaduct at Millau, which is a blast. But it needs research if you want to do it fast, because certain towns and cities are real bottlenecks - you need local knowledge and research for a fast non toll trip.
So you pays your money and takes your chance, but my overiding memory is that the santander ferry is a luxury for high season southern based families with no time to lose, and they charge accordingly. If you have plenty of time then through France, slowly, is the way to go. I once did from the Spanish border to Calais in 20 hours in my S700 at a cruising speed of 100kph. I can't remember the math, but it's easy to work out on Google at about 23mpg and the latest diesel prices - like here it's worth timing your stops and leaving the autiroute to visit a Mamouth or LeClerc - French diesel can be really cheaper, but not on the autoroute.
So it comes down to money - I just love that long ferry ride, and then it's only a day to Portugal! But is does cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment