Monday 23 March 2015

Front end and dashboard wobbling about - the ONLY minor design fault on 80's and 90's Classic Hymers

I went through this whole process a few years back! After about 200,000 kms romping all over Europe and Morocco my front end was moving so much the windscreen popped out. I fixed it the first time with a new piece of ply, but a year or so later it was bad again - bear in mind that I had done a lot of miles on a lot of really bad roads! So this time I decided like Jon to do it right, only after thesecond ply dash worked loose I decided that metal was the way to go. I had a metal guy in Morocco fabricate me a new dash out of galvanised sheet steel with a lip all round for strength. This was hand made and fitted and double bolted - no self tappers this time! I threw away the puny hymer angle irons at either side and fitted proper angle irons, and for good measure I even bolted through to a plate on the outside - you can see where on the many photos of the funkyronster hymer on this site. It's ugly, but I have the strongest front end of any hymer anywhere! And it has stood the test - now up to 350,000km and still rock solid.

If I had to do it again, I would probably have a stainless or galvanised sheet steel plate laser cut. Or alternatively I would fit a transverse stiffener from side to side under the dash - if I had access to a good metalworker.

I am not a fan of in dash speakers - the holes weaken the whole dash - all my problems started when I cut oval speaker holes. Out of the factory, Hymer fitted surface mounted pod speakers. However I have taken out my front bed, so have plenty of alternate locations.

I used sound proofing foam under the dash as well - I also used it under the front carpet, but don't think it made much difference. What really made a difference was lining the inside engine cover with wildly expensive cellular lead sheet soundproof material. This really made a difference, and despite it's high mileage and battle scars I reckon I have one of the quietest hymers around!

The basic point for all Classic Hymer owners is that the windscreen seal - the gap at the bottom - and the plywood dashboard are the only weak design features of this otherwise bombproof classic. All owners should check this area periodically. The good news is that it is relatively easy to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment