Monday 23 March 2015

On layouts

I started with a 555 but only had it a year - didn't like the drop down bed. I traded it for an S700 with fixed rear bed, and after a few years I also took out the front drop down bed, giving me a much roomier lounge area. This has left me with a very practical and luxurious van for two, and we have done a lot of miles in it. So my recommendation for mature adventurous semi retired couples is the S700 bar version with front bed removed. 
Don't worry about the size, it's only a couple of meters, but that couple of meters is a whole bed! If you intend to spend a lot of time in your van you will soon get annoyed with having to transform your living space to a bedroom, believe me, having a separate rear bed is a must. And there is no better rear bedded Hymer than the 1990's S700, probably the toughest, practical, stylish motorhome you can buy for under £15,000, often less.
But just to be fair - of all the 5 series vans I have been in, I like the 550 layout the best. With rear lounge, mid kitchen/bathroom, and bed over the front, I think that is the most convenient layout in a 5 meter van for a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment