Monday 23 March 2015

On satnavs

OK girls....uncle Ron here! Us blokes love a good "mine is better than yours" but I also understand that some folks just want a nice simple satnav that works. Messing round with tablets and fancy software is all well and good if that's your thing. I am not a fan of cheap satnavs, but Mike's recco does have a lot going for it. But I am a fan of TomTom, even though others aren't. Their flagship TomTom truck is lovely, but flipping expensive. I have had a TomTom Go720 for over 5 years and it has been all over with me on my travels. When it stopped working in Morocco, I just bought a map for £25 and I was sorted - it was a good map too! So here's how to get the latest TomTom cheap. Go on Ebay and buy a seconhand 720 or 730 (better). Then send it to a bloke I know who will upgrade it to the latest Truck version for £60. Thats what I have done, and also Linda Grant in their 700. If you go this way, I can support you cos it's what I use and I do rate it highly. I do also use my laptop for planning and research and it has to be said that no satnav will always guarantee you a perfect route. No satnav at any price should be trusted all the time, you still need to keep your eyes open and use common sense.
I don't want to start a TomTom v garmin v Chinese argument, they all have their virtues, but I have been very happy with my TT, even more so since it was upgraded.

1 comment:

  1. 2017 - The TomTom finaly gave up - I now use an android tablet. See later blog post.

    ReplyDelete