Monday 23 March 2015

On dim instrument lights ......

 I have this problem also. A few years ago my dashboard light went partly dark....a bulb had gone. Being well off at the time, I paid my garage to fix it, and watched him do it. It's a horrible job! Not impossible but horrible. The two screws on the top make it look so easy....but you will see that the plastic front and the metal back stretch the width of the dash. You basically have to prise them apart far enough to get your fingers in and changing the bulb is easy, but only once you have enough access. I would say only a job for the determined DIY'er. Mine is now so old and well used and so dim - I can see a layer of dust on the INSIDE of the dial glass!
So what's the alternative? Well like most people I have come to just put up with it. I can see the fuel gauge, that's the main thing. I rely heavily on my TomTom, which gives me accurate speed and speed trap notification. My only other suggestion is this. Consider mounting a strip of red led's under the top edge of the instrument binnacle - downlighting the dials. This would be quite easy to do. I would switch it separately, and have some provision for dimming - you don't want it too bright. This would give a soft red downlighting effect that would also look pretty cool, and red doesn't hurt your night vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment