Monday 23 March 2015

On Hymer S700 tyres and pressures

65 in the back and 55 in the front.......don't ask me how I know, I just do after 15 years in a S700.....if you want some logic, the S700 has a big overhang and so is rear heavy and front light, however, it only has little wheels and tyres so they need to be inflated to almost the max. I have arrived at 55/65 after many many miles and many conversations with other owners, tyre fitters and mechanics, and many years of monitoring for uneven tread wear. By the by - always make sure wherever you inflate that the machine has enough pressure and the right style of pump head - most motorway garages and petrol stations don't. I always make a habit of calling into a proper commercial tyre place and having my tyres checked every 6 months. Without the right gear it's possible to let out air and not get it back in! I have also found that the S700 is the most difficult vehicle to do a tyre change on - it's a bitch to jack, unless you carry a trolley jack, and the wheel nuts are like granite. I no longer even attempt a roadside change - I just call out the AA or RAC. I have never had a front wheel puncture, only several rear wheel ones, and if you have a flat rear, you can usually limp to a garage on 3 rear tyres without doing any damage - I have had to drive for several hours like this in Morocco, and it did no harm at all - 30mph max.

No comments:

Post a Comment