Sunday 23 August 2015

Bathroom glass mirror door replaced with plastic mirror

After many miles, years and drinks, eventually you might suffer a broken bathroom cabinet glass mirror door - You can save money and never suffer it again if you replace with 3mm acrylic mirror sheet.

Firstly you have to examine whether the long plastic bits top and bottom that grip the glass are intact and that they have their little nipples intact that locate into the holes in the plastic cabinet body top and bottom. If not you have to order fresh from Brownhills - not cheap! Although if you are a handy DIY'er, because you are replacing glass with plastic it is possible to fabricate your own hinge arrangement using epoxy glue or similar.
Then you do a search on Ebay for "acrylic mirror sheet" and decide if you cut it yourself and make your own hole for the catch, or have the whole thing done by the supplier. I chose the latter cos I was lazy and in the end I only saved about £20 - but the saving wasn't the issue for me - I wanted an unbreakable door because of the miles I do on rough roads - my old one survived 3 falls before finally smashing, and the hinge holes get worn, so plastic was the way to go. the finished item isn't as heavy and doesn't have the satisfying clunk of glass, but you can't tell the difference til you touch it.
Oh and PS.....I dribbled a bit of hot melt glue in the channels before assembly - any glue will do - just holds the whole thing together nicely, but don't get any glue on the mirror!

No comments:

Post a Comment