Thursday 23 April 2015

why people love old Hymers - clipped from FaceBook

I've spent the last 28 years being faithfull to one marque of old car, changed models more than once, but here's the question, Honest answers please , Is your Hymer a concious choice to keep, or when time and money permits will you be seduced by something newer,shinier and perhaps without a delaminated dashboard! ( Ron Bentham you're excused this question)
  • Jon Avery and 8 others like this.
  • Jules Blackwell A timeless classic Colin. Newer and shinier doesn't necessarily mean better. As my old Dad used to say 'they don't make em like they used to'
    14 hrs · Like · 6
  • Christian Skeels Definitely to keep. We just don't see any newer vans that suit us so well. JuliaLoisDavid and I spent a fair bit of time poking around newer vans at the Shepton show and we honestly didn't find one we collectively felt worked as well as our older Hymers.
    14 hrs · Like · 5
  • Lois Osborne-Carey we certainly did nothing came close the only time I would change mine now is for another Hymer maybe a s700 to go full timing in x
    14 hrs · Like · 5
  • Thomas Batson Well Like the man at the Hymer zoo said "I'm a keeper"
    14 hrs · Like · 2
  • Julia Whittall When we decided to get a camper for our retirement, we didn't think of any other than a Hymer simply based on having seen them on our travels in Germany. We absolutely love our 1994 S700 and, as yet, have no desire to have newer or shinier! 
    14 hrs · Like · 2
  • Richard Benson Keep keep keep
    13 hrs · Like · 2
  • Steven G King Difficult question our S700 is in good nick for its age easy to get about tows trailer and sues little sporty number great very comfortable & reliable solid just had mot done & he said her underneath is very tidy chassis like new i would like cruse control & automatic for the long french journeys but we will stick with hymera for the time being
    13 hrs · Like · 1
  • deleted - I no longer wish to contribute to your pathetic little blog.....but here are some  extracts from MILES davies......dum de dum de dum ..... dah dah.....cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QXpfvgSVk it was me or you guys - I'm not perfect, but my good work was an order of magnitude more than yours, warts and all......and that's what counted in the end. Think what you like, but I have been really affected by it all, and I am glad it's over. It's all about the Hymers. 900 members, a dozen or so I upset...fair do's. Good luck and no hard feelings.
  • George Burrowes An s700 if I had the space
    13 hrs · Like · 1
  • Ron Bentham Well I've really tried to wear mine out....I really have! It is still fully functional if a bit tatty and I just know it will go another 20 years. Even so I just couldn't resist getting another van. So I bought another S700 exactly the same and in pris...See More
    13 hrs · Edited · Like · 6
  • Deleted with pleasure........who cares if this makes no sense....nobody ever reads it anyway! bananas in february, lorem ipsum, mamma mia mamma mia, will you do the fandango! Ministry of funny walks was here.
    13 hrs · Like · 4
  • Richard Benson When I recently went to Brownhills in Newark to buy a new shower head,the chap at the spares counter said in a very loud voice ( when I had told him what I owned)" to never sell it as I would regret as the new ones were rubbish" nuff said
    13 hrs · Like · 5
  • Matt Mullarky When I (we) retire we are off round Europe for as long as possible and I will need something bigger than my B564. It will have to be reliable but it's not for 4 years yet so no decision until then. I love my van so don't know what I will do yet. I've never even seen the inside of another classic Hymer!!
    13 hrs · Like · 2
  • Linda Grant Nope. Newer/shinier is not for us. The repairs seem to cost more on the newer ones, as well as them just being flimsier!
    13 hrs · Like · 3
  • fly me to the moon, new york new york, I get no kick from champage!
    13 hrs · Like · 1
  • Richard Benson Well if you want a bigger one there is a one owner 700 arriving at ikonic kampers soon
    12 hrs · Like
  • Peter Curry ifi could afford it a Carthago chic cline for me
    12 hrs · Like
  • Matt Mullarky Helen yes I am and looking forward to poking about everyone else's van!
    12 hrs · Like · 2
  • Josef Williams I'V been down that road i sold a 554 in which i own for five year under pressure form her in door's to get a modern 6 birth so we had a Bennamiar ST 6000, £20,000 Plastic fantastic I just could not get on with it .I sold it in less than a year latter .I wonted a S700 but i did not have the space to keep it so i got a S550 I'v owned her for five year and i'm more than happy .
    12 hrs · Like · 8
  • Gail Miller We down-shinyed to the Hymer S class, never got on with the MFI vibe of the Autocruise. Definitely a keep, maybe not this one, jury's still out, but will be a pre 96 Hymer.
    12 hrs · Like · 2
  • Craig Sage Steven G King Cruise control is fairly easy to fit, if your handy with spanners and understand basic electrics it can be done for around £100, that's what I did on ours. Best upgrade we've made.
    12 hrs · Like · 1
  • Cruise control is for cruising people. ladies and gentlemen this is your captain speaking we will be flying at a height of approximately 2 MILES!
    12 hrs · Like · 2
  • deleted
    12 hrs · Like · 6
  • Craig Sage I'm planning to keep our one until the free tax catches up with it, only 14 years to go 
    12 hrs · Like
  • Tim Durham Hi all, I've had my B544 since march 2013, I've done 13000 miles in that time and loved every minute, I love the retro coolness about the it, I'm always getting nice comments from people about the condition etc. I've yet to see a new van that I like more than mine, the layout is great and the mechanicals are simple, it's holding it's value well too, imagine the depreciation on a new van

    Tim Durham's photo.
    12 hrs · Like · 4
  • Audrey Futter When time and money prevents I'll go back to a tent. I love my baby but I love my lifestyle more 
    11 hrs · Like
  • Gary Garage Johnstone I'm one for old and classic, as said they don't build em like they used to, I'm keeping mine and in 2018 will be 40 yrs young so will be in the historic vehicle category along with free road tax .. I love rare and old which gives a good value, these new ones have no character as nice as they are...

    Gary Garage Johnstone's photo.
    11 hrs · Like · 5
  • Ian Sawkins If we managed to win the lottery we'd still keep our Hymer n just spend copious amounts on updating and renewing everything our Henry is the biz as far as we are concerned 
    11 hrs · Like · 6
  • Graham Darwood We love our 1991 544 as well Colin. When I first persuaded Jane (my wife) that it was the van for us I described it as a VW Camper for grown ups 
    10 hrs · Like · 2
  • Richard Benson Mind you, if I had the space a 900 and maybe a 750.... As well
    5 hrs · Like · 1
  • Mark Burchell Definitely sticking with our classic s700 for as many years as we can until it's no longer viable to repair anymore.
    We have owned our Henry for over 4 years now & I have maintained him myself by doing a majority of the work.
    The new vans like everything now are getting more complicated & computerised making them more difficult to work on them.
    4 hrs · Like · 5
  • Steven G King That sounds like a plan Craig Sage do you have any info for parts ? Cheers
    3 hrs · Like
  • Martin N Christine Spillar Spent 2 years looking for the a Hymer. Our 1990 s550 is staying with us. Just waiting for the day we can use her more. Europe beckons. MOT today., fingers crossed.
    3 hrs · Like · 3
  • 3 hrs · Like · 1
  • Martin N Christine Spillar Cheers Richard Benson. This group has also made a difference. A little problem can be sorted which makes the decision to keep Hymering a lot easier. Like minded people as well. All´s good.
    2 hrs · Like · 6
  • Gerry Nicholas It's difficult to improve on perfection. Old Hymers rule.
    1 hr · Like · 6
  • Justin Linnane Saw a brand new "Brown" S750 when I was a teenager and have wanted this shape of Hymer ever since . Bought my 660 last year because of, not in spite of its retro design. I looked at newer motorhomes but just didn't get that "feeling " in any of them. The 660 was a hugely emotional buy, but its also the perfect long distance motorhome on a more practical level .
    1 hr · Edited · Like · 3
  • Karen Watson We bought this B654 in 2003. It replaced our S590. Over previous years we have owned more motorhomes than I care to mention. Since owning the Hymers we have also had an Eldiss 270, a nice little run around on LPG which we bought when diesel went up, ...See More

    Karen Watson's photo.
    1 hr · Like · 1
  • Linda Grant Sometimes, you just keep more than one..... 

    Linda Grant's photo.
    1 hr · Like · 2

No comments:

Post a Comment