Thursday 5 October 2017

Solar update - big 300w panels ...

The new(ish) big panels of 300w+ - there are several available from Bimble at great prices - offer serious power for full timers and heavy users. The 30amp Tracer MPPT from Bimble is an excellent controller.

I replaced 3 120w older panels with a single 320w big panel that covers the whole of the front section of my roof on my classic S700 and the results have been fantastic. 22 amps has been the max so far in what has been an average summer in a northern latitude. But what has impressed me the most is that recent panels have a much better low light performance. I have been seeing 10 amps under cloud! I also recently installed a 320w panel on another guys 700 and that has also been a success.

But you need a big battery to store all that power, and you need to need to use it, otherwise it's overkill. With everything on - computers and TVs - all day and evening, we consume about 10amps/hour. On a bright day, even in autumn, a 300w panel will cope with that nicely. I would suggest that 200 to 400ah battery capacity is about right. I use the Odyssey PC1800 which is brilliant.

With Bimble selling 300w panels around £140 and the controller costing around £140, plus cable and bits, a high power solar system has never been cheaper - as long as you have the batteries to store it. I estimate our off grid time is about double what it was last year, with the added bonus of more power available in spring and autumn when the days are shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment