Sunday 3 July 2016

Watch your insurance! Is it enough?

Is your van properly insured? 
In the event of a total loss - ie a write off, the insurance company will appoint a loss adjuster, who's job it is to value your van at the lowest possible figure that you will accept without going to court, and this is regardless of what you tell them what you think your van is worth when you take out the policy. In the case of an old van, that is difficult if not impossible to replace, like for like, then heartache can ensue. The only way round it is to do what the classic car people do, and that is to have an "agreed valuation" with the insurance people from the outset. They will usually ask for a written valuation to support this, and such a valuation isn't too difficult to get, although I can't at the time give you a definite contact - I'm working on it.
I am in the process of doing this myself. It would cost me around £18k to find a similar van, and then to add the extras that I have, to get an exact replacement - but a loss adjuster would probably offer me £10k. So I have spoken to my insurer (NFU) and they have said no problem - they just need a written valuation, which I am in the process of obtaining. Only by agreeing this valuation in advance and in writing with your insurer, will a classic owner have any chance of recouping a realistic figure in the event of a total loss.
Owners of "tatty" or "tired" vans need not worry so much, as they will usually be able to negotiate a figure that will enable them to buy a half decent replacement. But owners of lovingly restored or highly modified vans should take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment