Sunday 10 May 2015

Hymer water tank gauge service and repair - not written by me!

From Classic Hymers Facebook Page - by Christian Skeels


Tank gauges.
A previous owner changed the freshwater tank to an external tank on our van. As part of installing a new inboard tank, so we could use the van in winter, I also figured out how to get our disconnected tank gauge working again. I thought I'd share what I found out in case it's helpful to someone.
Extending from the control panel are two thick grey sheathed wires, one for the fresh tank and one for the greywater. These wires contain five coloured wires within: Brown, white, yellow, grey and green. 
The electronics behind the control panel send out an electric current along the brown wire and depending on which wires the current returns along determines the reading on the gauge.
Each coloured wire is connected to a different metal rod protruding into the tank at different levels. The water in the tank conducts the current between the rods and those under water send a signal back to the control panel.
So…
Brown sends the current
If the current comes back on white the gauge shows a quarter full.
White and Yellow return a current - half full.
White, Yellow and Grey - three quarters.
All four returning, green as well - tank full.
On my new tank, I installed four stainless steel bolts in the middle of each of the four quarters with a bolt for the brown sender set lowest in the tank. I used tightly sized holes, penny washers on the inside and outside and a good dollop of silicon to ensure everything was watertight when tightened up. Each bolt has a fly lead with a crimp spade connector so I could attach the wires in the grey cable.
Ta Da! My tank gauge is working perfectly again smile emoticon
Many of the tank gauge problems I've read about seem to be a consequence of dirty metal rods failing to conduct rather than failed electronics. If you're having problems, give your rods a good clean and try checking for current by connecting the brown wire to the others to see what readings you can get.
Like · Comment · 1316

No comments:

Post a Comment